By Evelyn Motsatsing
Here we are in the new year of 2021. COVID-19 is putting a dent to our preparations for the year, causing a delay in the opening of schools, universities, and other tertiary institutions. But, despite all that, we must make this year a success. We are here. We made it into the new year, something to be grateful for. It is up to each one of us to make the year a better one.
To kick off the school year, I want to remind you of the importance of schooling and education, so that on those days when it is a struggle to wake up or to motivate yourself, you can just refer to this post and be energized again.
We have heard the saying “Education is the key to success”. No truer words have ever been said!
Here are some of the reasons why:
Education is key to the wealth and health of countries, and their citizens.
I did a comparison of the top 30 most educated countries vs the top 30 wealthiest countries and the top healthiest countries. The facts speak for themselves. Educated countries are both healthy and wealthy.
Our country is not on any of these top 30 lists. Through young people like you, who seek to be educated, we have a chance of improving the wealth and health of our country.
Education is important for the progress of society
At school, we learn about culture, history, and other important aspects of human lives. These topics help us understand how the world has progressed and open our eyes and minds to how we can also contribute to the progress of the world and the sustainability of the planet.
We now know what education means for countries and societies, in that it gives us the skills needed to better the world, that is not all. There are benefits for us individuals as well.
- Doing well in grade 12 exams gives you the possibility to study further and qualify for a degree or diploma. As you know, a degree or diploma is necessary to land a good job. People who finish high school and study further earn better than those who did not complete their high school, leading to a better quality of life.
- Education allows you to be financially independent and therefore self-dependent, having the freedom to make your own choices. We gain the tools and mental characteristics required to excel in life.
- Self-confidence is another benefit. Education gives you the confidence to express your opinions and speak your mind.
- Besides school subjects, high school and university teaches life skills that young people need, to lead successful lives. Skills such as dealing with failure, independent thinking, ability to express those thoughts, time management, etc.
- Think about it, if you are not getting educated, what are you doing with your time? Your parents must take care of you now while you are still young, but the clock is ticking, you are getting older every day. Use the time to get educated so that you can give yourself the life of your dreams when the time comes. Give the parents a break, they need the rest!
Now that you know all that, go make 2021 great. Get the education and do your part in contributing to an educated, healthy, and wealthy society.
Remember to wear your mask, keep a safe social distance, and sanitize so that you remain healthy.
As Nelson Mandela said, “Sometimes, it falls upon a generation to be great. You can be that great generation. Let your greatness blossom”.
You are the future!